Where there is a need, women lead…
That is the credo of Women United! a group of 200 Valley Women from all walks of life. United Way of Youngstown and the Mahoning Valley’s Women United! was established in May of 2014. The grassroots group is entering its sixth year with its passionate and caring women dedicated to making a tangible impact on the lives of our Valley’s children through volunteering in early Education. Its members are integral in several United Way programs – giving their time to mentor middle school-aged girls in the Young Women’s Mentorship Program, tutoring elementary school children in Project More, volunteering as a Report Card Mentor, or helping out at the various Women United! events.
In 2022, Women United Raised $37,900 for the United Way of Youngstown and the Mahoning Valley. We were able to significantly impact the students and families of our Success By 6 and Success After 6 initiatives.
Since the pandemic, led by United Way Director of Donor Relations Tina Chance, Women United refocused its mission. Our Women’s Wednesday events now have a new purpose. We helped with our first hands-on volunteer opportunity in May at our renovated office. More than 40 women put together summer learning kits, all while enjoying time to network and some wine.
Through your generosity, we were able to make a true difference in the lives of the students and families we serve.
Women United’s Impact:
- Provided 250 summer learning kits to Youngstown City School District Elementary School students. *Funded by Women’s Wednesday event
- Provided 250 hygiene kits to 250 incoming YCSD elementary and middle school students during the 21/22 school year. *Funded by Women’s Wednesday event
- Provided 500 hats and gloves to 10 local school districts. *Funded by Women’s Wednesday event
- Provided 100 – $50 gift cards for holiday meals to students in 10 local school districts
- Funded 29 Women United Emergency Funding requests in 2022 totaling $8,114 These requests served a total of 336 students and families.
Women United Provided:
- Clothing (shoes, shirts, pants, undergarments) * most requested items
- Classroom headphones
- Hygiene products
- Basic home essentials
Women United invested $23,100 to assist 1,436 students and families in 2022.
“WHERE THERE IS NEED”
Thank you to 898 Marketing, our 2022 “Where There is Need” sponsor, we will be able to answer the call to fulfill Emergency needs for the 2022-2023 school year.
Women’s Wednesday is back!
We are also in the midst of our Women United! Annual Appeal. All the money raised will go to our newly formed Emergency Relief Fund for our Success After 6 initiative. These funds will be used for students and families who need extra assistance outside of the classroom.
We are making a difference! But we still need your help.
Please click here to DONATE– make sure to choose Women United! tab on the drop-down menu.