These dedicated tax preparation volunteers donate their time to make sure those with limited incomes are able to complete tax returns in a timely fashion, enabling them to receive proper tax credits and refunds. Without volunteers providing this tax preparation service, many low income families would not have their taxes done due to the up-front expense of hiring an accountant.
This is a challenging job, but the reward is great!
VITA Volunteer Training Dates:
December 9-13, 9:00am-12:00pm, Zion Lutheran Church, 3300 Canfield Rd., Youngstown OH 44511
December 9-13, 5:00pm-7:00pm, Zion Lutheran Church, 3300 Canfield Rd., Youngstown OH 44511
VITA volunteers are encouraged to attend as many sessions of the in-person training as possible.
Day sessions and evening sessions can be combined. Day sessions will have an extra emphasis of practice problems.
For more information about becoming a VITA Volunteer, click here to leave your contact information,
or contact Lita Wills, 330-746-8494.
VITA Volunteer Skills:
• Basic tax training and certification will be provided as needed. No prior tax preparation experience is necessary – just a desire to learn.
• Willingness to share time, skills, and interests. Consider volunteering a minimum of 2 to 4 hours a week for the Volunteer Tax Program from approximately mid-January through April 15.
• Basic computer skills for inputting tax return information.
• Work with the public in a helpful and supportive manner, including interviewing skills. Interviewing skills training will be provided as needed.
• Friendly, dependable, and flexible.
• Bilingual volunteers a plus.
Top of Page
VITA Volunteer Roles:
• After certification training, provide basic tax return preparation for eligible taxpayers.
• Volunteers will provide free, high quality service and uphold the highest of ethical standards to establish public trust.
VITA Volunteer Responsibilities:
• Attend new and/or refresher tax law training as needed, including training on the use of electronic filing software. (Approximately 20 hours of training is necessary to become certified.)
• Successfully pass a test on required tax law knowledge.
• Interview client regarding all income, deductions and allowable credit(s).
• Provide high-quality assistance to all taxpayers. Directly prepare taxpayer’s return based on information provided by taxpayer and answer tax related questions.
• Prepare only those tax returns for which training and certification were provided.
• Prepare tax returns using electronic filing software (wherever possible).
• Ensure no compensation of any kind is accepted for the volunteer services provided.
• Maintain confidentiality of client information.
• Ensure on-site quality review is performed on completed returns prior to being returned to customer.
• Ensure a copy of the completed return is provided to the taxpayer.
Training/ Studying for VITA Tax Preparer Exam:
Training Materials Available by Contacting Lita Wills